You think I'm settling for less?
Yes, I do.
But less than what? It's not like I have a choice. I can't get what I want, so the next thing available that I may actually also want is the best.
Yeah, yet deep inside you'd always know that there's something else that you want more. Whether you can have it or not doesn't make you want it any less. To be realistic you might try to believe that; I just won't be able to fool myself.
Okay, but you're idealistic like that and you demand yourself to be perfect, even in the logic of your own mind. Normal people have other things, you know, like emotional needs, say, that may shuffle a few things around in their heads. You're a victim of your own dreams, you know.
There just seems to be something fundamentally wrong with it. What if he changes his mind one day? If he sends you a letter, saying, "oh I was so stupid I didn't see it -- you're the love of my life," what will you do? You don't settle for less because you might run into something again, then you might be stuck with less. That's simple reasoning.
Except that you've forgotten about the issue of time. The clock ticks, and you're talking about a matter of probability. What if I don't? What if given the finite amount of time, this is the best?
What if it's not? You've encountered something better before, why not later?
Well what would you do?
Why do you think I have no plans to settle down?